The town of Formia

Print
Category: Countries
Published Date
Written by Super User Hits: 1486

The town of Formia

 

Here you can see the official web site

of Formia Town 

In the next PDF you can see some pictures, places and videos of Formia.

 

 

 

 

Formia, Province of Latina, Lazio Region, Italy

A thriving business, artistic and tourist town along the Tyrrhenian coast, situated on the Via Appia.

 

 

Formia was, according to the legend, the capital of the Lestrigoni, sly giants of extraordinary strength who practiced anthropophagy, as told by Homer in the Odyssey, whose town was called Lamia. According to other ancient sources, the Lamia name derived instead from a Libyan girl kidnapped by Jupiter and carried on the seashore of Formia.

What to see:

Info

-- Population: about 36,000 inhabitants -- Zip/postal code:04023 -- Phone Area Code: 0771 -- Patron Saint: The two separate villages that gave origin to present-day Formia had each its patron Saint : Castellone had S.Erasmo, Mola di Gaeta instead had Saint John the Baptist. The two villages in 1819 were united in the joint commune of "Mola e Castellone". In 1863 the two centers were united under the name of Formia and the problem of the choice of the patron Saint began. Finally in 1938 Pope Pius XI declared Sant'Erasmo and San Giovanni joint Patrons of Formia. The two patrons are celebrated with processions andblessing of the sea, S.Erasmo and S.Giovanni on 24 june. -- fractions and localities: Castellonorato, Gianola, Maranola, Penitro, Trivio, Santa Croce

History:

There is historical evidence that Formia was inhabited already in the 6th century BC by an ancient Italic people known as the Volsci, who became Roman citizens in 338 BC.

In Roman times Formia - called Formiae - was a lively center due to its strategic location on the Via Appia, and a seaside resort for the Roman aristocracy. Lucius Mamurra, a Roman cavalier native of Formia, lived in the 1st century BC and was Praefectus Fabrum of Julius Caesar in Spain and France, where he amassed an extraordinary wealth, partly invested in his luxurious villa in Formia. Another Roman citizen of great standing was Vitruvius Pollio, a celebrated architect of the 1st century AD, author of De Architectura.

In 846 AD the town was destroyed by the Saracens and the survivors moved to Gaeta and other neighboring settlements. Only two villages remained: Mola and Castellone, which were joined in 1819 under the name of Comune di Mola e Castellone. Finally a Royal decree in 1863 changed the name back to the ancient Formia.